Saturday, June 07, 2008

Will

I cannot believe Will is TEN YEARS OLD and has completed 4th grade. It seems inconceivable! Every year I think he looks so big to me and then I look at last year's pictures and he looks so little and young. Will has had, I think, a great year at school. There was a lot more homework, a lot higher expectations and report cards with letter grades on them. He really rose to the challenge though managing all his time and materials has not been easy (I hear this is very typical with boys and that I should not expect improvement for a couple of years).

Will's school exposes the boys to lots and lots of sports, more than I ever could do on my own and let me say I am So Thankful! While he doesn't have a strong interest in focusing in a sport outside of school, he seems to have enjoyed learning some of these new things (esp. lacrosse and baseball) and always enjoys a hard game of tag, dodge ball or wall ball with his friends at school. He has yet to join the running club at school (a special club by invitation only....you get your invitation by being caught running in the hall, repeatedly coming to school late or other behavioral offenses) but there is always next year!

Will's extracurricular activities include piano and cartooning. We just attended his studio recital today although Will did not perform because he joined the studio too late in the year to do so. We will work to get some of his piano and at least some of his cartoons on the blog. He loves that cartooning class and that is the one thing that he practices to excess outside of class time.

Will continues to be a big reader (currently reading the Pendragon series, Ranger's Apprentice series and just starting Dune). He is thoughtful but at the same time, naive (because, of course, he's only 10!) Will and his friends have been following the Presidential election process very closely in the news. Will and most of his friends are Obama supporters.

No comments: