Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What do you think is under here?

Photo

Perhaps due to the humidity, we've found a few very creepy crawlies recently.  Am I crazy for posting in public that I found a bug in my house?  I think in this weather that everyone has something!  Under the green cup is a house centipede and supposedly they are beneficial for eating other insects (EEK? Does that mean we have other insects here? I've not seen any but maybe this is why...) and supposedly house cats are good for keeping the centipedes at bay.  Our cats CLEARLY are falling down on the job.  Noelle is only interested in things that fly and KC is only interested in his food bowl.

It is getting expensive to pay Lyra her $1 "finder's fee" to spot these and Will his $5 fee to execute the hit.  Fortunately for my pocketbook, I found this one myself. I called Bill at work but he did not come home so I resorted to the age-old housewive's solution to "save" the bug for him.  Bill did come home eventually and dispatch it (we were thinking catfish might eat it but no way was I going to be the server).  To my eyes, this this thing was gigantic but Bill said it wasn't really. 

Here is the most hilarious and, I believe, accurate description of these creepy crawlies....don't you agree? I found it on Wikipedia

           In 1902, C.L. Marlatt, an entomologist with the United States Department of Agriculture wrote a brief description of the house centipede:

It may often be seen darting across floors with very great speed, occasionally stopping suddenly and remaining absolutely motionless, presently to resume its rapid movements, often darting directly at inmates of the house, particularly women, evidently with a desire to conceal itself beneath their dresses, and thus creating much consternation.[2]
Now I am going to take a shower....

Posted via email from Cathleen Phelps

No comments: