Monday, April 16, 2007

More Thoughts on Our Trip

Differences between Italy (probably other places in Europe too) and the US:

- Motorscooters and cars that are smaller than my purse (because gas is probably $10/gal)

- People look happy to see you arrive with a child no matter where you are as opposed to here in the US (Please God, don't let them be in my row/near my table/)

- When checking out in the store, the cashier puts your change on a little plate on the counter rather than in your hand. IMO, this is brilliant and far preferably to having some ding-dong behind the counter put the bills in my hand and carefully arrange the coins on top of the bills so I pretty much can't do ANYTHING without spilling my change everywhere.

- Great coffee!

- Great wine! I love that the wine bars give you a little plate of snacks to eat with your wine so you don't accidentally end up three sheets to the wind.

- Reasonable portion sizes in the restaurants. There was no need to feel bad about throwing away half my entree (since there would have been nowhere to keep it in the hotel room) but I still had plenty to eat.

- Hotels charge extra for every amenity and food is horrendously expensive (see kid's meal post below).

I can't believe our trip is over and I've been back almost a week! With the nor'easter last weekend and gale force winds this week, I am ready to either fly back to Italy or have summer start NOW.

No comments: