Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Sphynx

Too bad my camera strap is in the way but this is the best picture of Jefferson out of the lot. Jefferson is supposed to live across the street. He used to be big and fat, with a belly that dragged on the ground. He lost weight when his owner took in a new kitten and now he is almost scrawny.

Jefferson turned up in our garden last week and spent the whole day there. I have never seen him away from his garden. When night came, he meowed pitifully to come in. Needless to say, KC and Noelle were plastered to the door wanting to chase this interloper from the garden that they are not allowed to patrol. I finally carried Jefferson home the next day. He looked very insulted being deposited in his own garden.

He has come back every day since. Neighbor has not returned my calls but appears to be in town so I don't think Jefferson is locked out. I don't want to feed him because I don't want him to be confused about where he lives. He seems very convinced that he lives here now. Maybe he has some kitty cat dementia.

Last night, he joined us for dinner in the garden. He sat on the bench in between Bill and Will and stared at the food. That was the picture I really wanted to take but he got down to try to follow me into the house when I went to get the camera. We took him home last night and fed him in *his* garden. But he was back here, meowing to come in, before I went to bed.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That kind of sudden weight loss can be tapeworm or a sarcoma - I've had cats with both - and I'd be leaving notes for my neighbour asking me if they'd like me to take the cat to the vet the next time I took mine. On the other hand one of our four moves down to a neighbour's when we travel and it was hard when he started spending time there and they gave him a new nickname (all friendly now as he comes home on his own).

(not a random stranger - Bill sent me a link!)
Mary